Monday, July 13, 2009


My name is Joe Davis and I'm originally from La Habra. I moved to Temecula when I was 9 and have lived there for the majority of my life; I lived in Encinitas and Chico for a little while. I went to Faith Lutheran Christian School until I moved to Temecula and then I went through all the local Temecula schools, and eventually graduated from Temecula Valley High School in 1998. I then went on to have too much fun and didn't end up graduating from University of California, Riverside until 10 years later.
I don't have much experience with technology; I didn't even know how to turn a computer on and off until I started at UCR in 2006. I've always figured I was caught in the middle of a technology gap. When I was in high school, the internet was still a new thing and it was discouraged as a use for information. Since I didn't go to college right out of high school or get a good job that required technical skills, I never really learned how to use the computer. I was too old to have grown up with computers, and too young or too unskilled to use them at work. Basically I have never really had any use for computers other then as a way to manage my fantasy baseball and football teams. I do however understand the value of computers and technology, and am actually very eager to learn more about them. I honestly don't know which Office I am most comfortable with-which ever is on my computer I suppose.
The part of the mission statement that really speaks to me is the first sentence, "the mission of the college of education community is to collaboratively transform public education by preparing thoughtful educators and advancing professional practice." What this says to me is that the College Of Education is going to make educators out of its students. This is all I ask of the COE; make me a thoughtful and effective educator and advance my professional practice. This is why I am at CSUSM, to become an educator. To be completely honest, the mission statement had nothing to do with why I chose CSUSM. I chose to come to CSUSM because it was far cheaper then UCR, it was closer, and it was a way better drive. I had never read the mission statement until I was getting ready for my group interview after I had already decided to come to CSUSM.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've never really considered the age group you're talking about and how they connect with computers... which is funny since I have two sisters that are 30 and 33 and come to think about it, they aren't as familiar with computers as I am and frequently ask me for help.

    ReplyDelete